Rhubarb and Berry Cobbler





My favorite dinner dessert to make and serve is rhubarb and berry cobbler.  My guests loveeee it and
I love to make it.  It's a simple and quick dessert to make in a pinch.  I always keep frozen blueberries and rhubarb in my freezer just in case, then add fresh strawberries and raspberries to it.  Rhubarb gives this recipe a tart note to balance the sweetness of everything else.  While not always in season, you can find it at most grocery stores in the freezer isle.  You can add other combination of berries or fruit to make your own signature cobbler.  Best served warm, with vanilla ice cream. Yumm!

I chop all my larger ingredients into bite size pieces, then add them to a bowl and mix with a few handfuls of sugar (around 1/2 cup).  You can choose the amount of sugar you would like to add, I usually add enough to coat the fruit.  To that mixture add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and stir again.  The cornstarch is a thickening agent that will thicken the juices from your fruit when baking so you don't have a very watery dessert.  I usually end up with a medium size bowl of fruit when its all chopped up and mixed.  You choose the amount of fruit per how many people you are serving.


Distribute the fruit mixture evenly into personal sized ramekins with about 1/2 in. of room left for your crumble topping.  If you overfill the ramekin, your cobbler will bubble over and spill over onto the edges.  I use foil on my pan in case that happens for easy clean up.



To make the crumble topping put all the ingredients into a bowl and smash with a fork or crumble with your hand until you get a sandy consistency.  You don't want to over mix it because the butter will melt and the dough will get sticky.  When your done, distribute it over the top of your fruit.  I usually take some of the crumble and flatten it in my hand, then add it on top.  I personally love the crumble topping so I make a double portion and add extra to the top.

After you're finished adding the crumble topping, move them to a lined sheet tray and bake at 400 degrees for 30-45 min.  If your cobbler is bubbling or starting to get golden on top it is ready.

Cool for about 7-10 min and serve with your choice of ice cream.

I serve them to my guests with a little towel while still hot, but be careful.

Recipe will be listed below.  

Fruit Mixture

8oz -10oz blueberries
8oz -10oz rhubarb
12-16oz strawberries 
6oz-8oz raspberries 
about 1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp corn starch

  
Crumble Topping 

1 Cup flour 
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp salt 
8 tbs unsalted butter softened (not melted)

400 degrees for 30-45 min

 Enjoy!


No comments